Idea #4: Create a blog of interesting license platesPosted: January 3, 2010
If you’ve driven on the typical road before, you’re probably familiar with the feeling of seeing a license plate that just makes you smile. (That feeling is right up there with the rest of those 1000 Awesome Things. Yes, that’s a suggestion.) Other times, you’ll see a picture of one on the Internet and feel compelled to share it.
Act on that impulse. Share that feeling with everybody by starting a blog that features interesting vanity plates. While on the road,
- This isn’t a difficult concept to grasp. It’s something that has huge potential for going viral.
- Once it picks up steam, readers will love the opportunity to upload their own plates. The work is essentially crowdsourced, and it becomes similar to the ICHC business model.
- I’ve got a perfect name for it, too. Drive-by Shooting. ‘Cause you know, you’re driving, and you shoot, like with a camera.
- If it’s managed by just one person, the blog could become difficult to maintain. Unless the blogger travels a lot, s/he will run out of plates eventually.
- There are risks associated with trying to take a photo while driving, so this may not be the ideal one-man operation.
- Going with the name I suggested may offend a few people.
I just spent quite a bit of time typing this up, so I’m going to post it anyway. However, it’s worth noting that a Google search crushed my feelings of originality*. Such a site actually exists, and it’s called r8pl8z.com. They post three plates per day, and quite a few of them are funny. It’s worth a look.
However, anybody willing to use the name “Drive-by Shooting” is still welcome to give it a try.
*This may happen a few times. Please let me know if I’ve done this and I’ll link to whoever already published an idea.